Origin and goals of the association
Centre Terre is a non-profit association created in 1992 by both cavers or scientifists, eager to share their skills to carry out exploration work and whose common denominator is caving. It is intended to publish the results later for the benefit of all, including the public and scientists, that the physical, technical, human resources and logistics do not allow access to this site or this knowledge.
Experience and logistics
Today, Centre Terre benefits from the experience of a dozen major expeditions and has exceptional resources in the middle of caving:
- thanks to its eclectic and multidisciplinary team, which enriches every year. These figures, some of which were the origins of the association, are recruited around the world (France, Spain, Canada, Australia, United States, Mexico, Chile …) according to their experience and expertise, based on specific needs of each new project;
- with expertise in the management of scientific expeditions and sports around the world: Papua New Guinea, Borneo, Patagonia, Mongolia, Turkey… ;
- and the extent of its technical and logistical six motorized inflatable boats Bombard, a 33 m3 container, some means of communication and satellite radio, and nearly 5 tons of miscellaneous equipment carefully maintained during the stay of the material on French territory .
Dissemination of information and media
Outside the period of expeditions themselves, Centre Terre main activities are land information, media and publishing.
Projects are concerned, preparations and achievements of the association. The site is http://www.centre-terre.fr/ main medium of this action. He knows peak attendance during our expeditions, during the two months of field operations in Patagonia in 2006, 2008 or 2010, it was visited by over 30,000 users.
Publicize our activity is to promote both expeditions led by Centre Terre to relay the communication partners financial, institutional, technical and logistics associated with each of our projects.
The general public is one of our targets. We wish to inform the work carried out, discoveries and breakthroughs made, and awareness of the respect of the last remaining wild environments on our planet.
Earth Centre wishes to make known as widely as possible the work of its teams. Thus various television documentaries were produced by Luc-Henri Fage for France 2 and France 5 in 2000, and France 3 (Thalassa) and Planète Thalassa in 2008.
Our action in Chilean Patagonia illustrates this policy. Media campaigns expeditions of 2006 and 2008 have not only allowed the Chileans to discover Caving – an activity hitherto totally ignored in the country – but also aware of the riches of the subsoil, in particular archaeological we have proved the surprise.
In turn, the Chilean authorities have realized the importance of this harsh environment but fragile is our field of action.
This is how the order was made to protect the island of Madre de Dios in October 2007 and Earth Centre was approved as resource organization for this sector.
Post is one of the first vocations Center Earth. The documents we produce are extremely diverse. Each shipment gives rise to two types of reports:
- one, succinct style present in our public works and major discoveries, usually in the form of a plate 48 pages of full color;
- the other is a full report. It includes all the work and discoveries made with hindsight and acquired about 6 months post shipment analysis. It is an ambitious work of over a hundred pages.
These documents are filed with the Library of the French Federation of Speleology, where they are available on request.
Ultimately, a significant portion of the documents will be downloadable from our website. The history of our expeditions in Patagonia is already available, other documents will follow.
Finally, each shipment causes a large number of specific publications. They are of three types:
- articles published in journals specific to rural caving, such as Spelunca, Caving, Spéléoc in France and a number of foreign journals;
- publications in scientific journals dealing with French or international environment-related disciplines underground Karstologia example;
- Finally, numerous articles published in various journals and papers presented in the context of congresses, scientific or not.
President of Centre Terre